Zoeken in deze blog

woensdag 15 augustus 2012

How to prepare chicken as if it were ossobuco ...

I'm going to babysit this afternoon. The whole afternoon, so no time to cook tonight. As my parents both have to work and my sister has to study for her exams, I decided to make something I could do in advance. A kind of stew or something alike.

I've always looked at recipes for ossobuco, liking them but never tried or tasted them. When I went for the weekly shoppings, I thought of taking ossocuco home. But as luck isn't very reliable, the shop didn't sell ossobuco (neither the veal nor the turkey kind).
I took home chicken insead. I reconed that if there is turkey ossobuco, chicken pieces - parts of another kind of bird - should do the same trick.




For the rest, I just follow the same steps as if preparing the real thing.

Ingredients for 4:
- 4 large or 8 smaller chicken pieces (with bone)
- a few sticks of celery
- a few carrots
- large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml white wine
- 1 can (400 grams) peeled tomatoes
- 1 small tin of tomato purée
- a little flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 bay leaves
- teaspoon of thyme
- olive oil
- 350 grams of tagliatelle
- zest of 1 lemon
- handful of parsley
- 1 clove of garlic

How to:
Cover the chicken in a thin layer of flour.
Heat the oil in a pot (large enough to place each piece of meat next to eachother) and fry the chicken so that it browns on each side. Spice things up with pepper and salt. Take the chicken out of the pot and add all of the diced carrots and celery and the chopped onion and garlic. 



Once they have sweated a little, put the chicken pieces on top of it all. Add the wine, the tomatoes, tomato purée and the herbs. 
Lower the heat and let all of it simmer for 2 to 3 hours.



Before serving, taste whether it needs more pepper or salt.

I made the whole thing in advance. By doing it the night before, I didn't have to hurry to the kitchen in the morning before leaving for the babysitting, and the tastes would be able to combine more beautifully!

To serve, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
On the plate, put some of the pasta, a piece of chicken, the sauce and sprinkle it all with a mixture of the crushed garlic, the lemon zest and the chopped parsley. These last things form the so called 'gremolata'.





Appetitoso!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten