Zoeken in deze blog

vrijdag 24 augustus 2012

Wholesome vanilla-chocolate buns

Remember my post on my birthday party? The one for which I baked 7 different kinds of bread? Well, it wasn't fully to my my sister's consent. The reason for this was that there was nowhere a chocolate bread to be found ...

She's a chocolate addict. Not so much as in her childhood, during which she couldn't take her hands of anything containing chocolate (even though she was allergic to the thing!), but still enough to be disappointed about having to eat all sorts of bread without that specific ingredient. 

To make things up with her I decided this morning to bake chocolate buns for her. I woke up as early as 5 a.m. this morning, for I don't know what reason. So as I knew the others wouldn't get up for at least 3 hours, I had enough time to spend some time in the kitchen making the buns.




I'd just made up my mind about this when I found out that the plain flour was all finished. But there are always solutions to these kind of problems: a combination of whole wheat flour and vanilla flour would do.

Ingredients for 4 buns:
- 70 grams whole wheat flour
- 50 grams vanilla flour (custard powder)
- 1 large tablespoon of vanilla sugar
- 3,5 grams instant yeast
- 40 grams lukewarm milk
- 25 grams butter
- 1 egg
- 100 grams chopped plain chocolate
- 1 egg yolk
- powdered sugar for serving (optional)

How to:
Mix the milk, egg and the yeast. Mix in another bowl the flour, the custard powder, the sugar and the salt. Mix both mixtures with eachother and knead the butter in. Knead at least 5-10 minutes so that the dough comes together nicely.
Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
Knead again and add the chopped chocolate now.
Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
Knead again and divide it in 4 pieces. Shape them whatever way you like.
Let the dough rest for 45 minutes. Spread some egg yolk onto it so that it will get nice and shiny in the oven.
Bake the buns for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 190°C. Raise the temperature to 210°C and bake for another 10 minutes.
Take out of the oven and let cool. 
Serve with some powdered sugar on top.

At least my sister can't blame me for not thinking about her this morning! 

Have a nice meal! :)

P.S.: they're nice but to be eaten in small amounts. That's because the whole wheat flour doesn't rise as easily as white flour ;)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten